Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Readup?
- Readup accounts
1. What is Readup?
Readup is an Android application (for tablets and smartphones) that allows you to subscribe to data channels (news, blogs, etc.) and read its content. The app tracks your reading history, groups your channels into categories and notifies you when new entries are added.
1.1. How to install the application
In order to install the application, head to the Google Play download page and click on the Install button. If you have your device linked to your Google Play account, you should see it in the dropdown list. Select it and click on Install.
1.2. How to add channels
There are several ways you can add channels to Readup:
- The easiest way is adding channels through Readup’s website, as long as you have linked your device with a Readup account. More information is available in the ‘How to manage your Readup account’ area in this FAQ.
- With the Android browser, enter the website of the channel you want to add, look for a RSS link, and click on it
- In Readup’s main screen, click on the ‘+’ button on the upper bar, and insert the URL of the channel you want to add.
1.3. How to organize your channels in categories
Readup allows you to organize your channels in categories, so each one of them is separated in a different column, in Readup’s main screen. You can navigate through all categories by swiping with the finger horizontally.
In order to create a new category, open the application menu, and touch on New category.
In order to assign a channel to a category, touch the channel’s names until a menu shows up, select the Move to category… option and choose the category you want to assign to this channel.
You can rename, join or remove categories by pressing the category menu button, at the right of its name, and selecting the appropiate action on the list.
1.4. How to configure the notification service
By default, Readup will update automatically every few minutes the content of the channels flagged as important, or that are considered important by Readup’s own algorithm, which is based on the assiduity you read the articles of each channel.
In order to change the global behavior of the notification service, open the main menu and select the option Preferences:
- Download in background enables or disables the background download service. If it’s disabled, no notifications will be delivered, and no content will be downloaded from the channels, unless you manually open the application. Recommended for limited data connections.
- Enable notifications will globally activate or deactivate the notifications service. Independently of eachs channels configuration, no notifications will be delivered if this option is disabled.
- Enable vibration and Enable sound allows you to choose the way you want to be notified of new entries in your channels
You can change the notification system behavior for each channel independently. For doing it, press the channel’s name until a menu shows up, and select the option Notifications…
- Automatic is the default option. Channels in this mode will send notifications only when the content is considered relevant to the user, based on the user’s reading habits
- Always notify tells the application to always notify of new entries in this channel
- Do not notify disables the notifications for this channel
2. Readup accounts
Some of Readup’s features require of a Readup account to work. Linking your device with your Readup account is optional, but will give you the following features:
- To be able to syncronize data between several Android devices (channels, categories, etc.)
- To be able to add channels to your device from Readup’s website
2.1. How to create a Readup account
When you start the application the first time, you will be shown Readup’s register form. In this screen you can choose wether you want yo create a new Readup account, or link your device with a existing one. You also can skip this process and use the application without a linked Readup account.
In either case, you can link or unlink the device with your Readup account at any time from the preferences panel. Open the main menu, and select Preferences. In this screen you can see your current Readup account, and the state of the last data syncronization. You can also unlink and link your device, and configure the data syncronization.
2.2. How to manage your Readup account
You can manage your Readup account from Readup’s website. Enter your username and password and click on Log in. Once logged, two new panels will be accesible on the top bar, one for managing channels, and the other for managing your account data.
- Your channels. In this page you can add new channels to your account, which will be automatically synced with your devices. You also can configure your browser to add channels more easily, either via a bookmark link, or as a channel handler (only compatible browsers). Finally, in this page you also can import data from other services.
- Your account. In this area you can change your account’s e-mail and password, the same you use to log in in the website. Changing access data will not affect your devices’ syncronization process.
2.3. How to import data from other services
From Readup’s webiste, and as long as you have your devices linked, you can do an import of data from other service. Most services let you export your data in a OPML file. From the Your channels page, you can select the OPML file to import, and do the importation. A few minutes later, you’ll have all your channels available in your devices.